Mohammed Zahur “Khayyam” Hashmi, also referred to as ‘Khayyam’ is a well-known Indian music composer. He composed music for the movies like “Kabhi Kabhie (1976),” “Trishul (1978),” “Dard (1981),” “Dil-E-Nadan(1982),” and “Umrao Jaan (1981).”
Mohammed Zahur “Khayyam” Hashmi was born as ‘Sa’aadat Hussain’ on Friday, 18 February 1927 (age 92 years on the time of dying) within the Rahon Metropolis of Nawanshahr District, Punjab, British India. His zodiac signal is Aquarius. In his early teenage, he left his house and went to review music however needed to return to finish his training. Khayyam ran to his uncle’s home in Delhi to change into an actor. His uncle enrolled him in a college, however when he noticed his ardour for movies, he determined to let him study music. He acquired educated beneath Pandit Amar Nath. He then went to Lahore, the place he met Baba Chishti, a well-known Punjabi music composer from who he had later discovered music.
Top (approx.): 5′ 4″
Eye Color: Darkish Brown
Hair Color: Gray (semi-bald)
Household, Caste & Spouse
Khayyam belongs to a highly-educated Muslim household. His siblings live in Pakistan. He acquired married to Jagjit Kaur (singer) in 1954. Khayyam had a son named Pradeep Khayaam, who died of a coronary heart assault on 25 March 2012.
On the age of 17, Khayyam went to Lahore and began working as an assistant to Baba Chishti. Speaking about that, Khayyam said-
My work was to present rehearsals to singers and musicians.”
He assisted him until six months, after which he got here again to Ludhiana in 1943. After a quick stint within the military within the Second World Struggle, he moved to Bombay (now Mumbai) to make his profession in movies. Speaking in regards to the cause to hitch the military, Khayyam said-
The British authorities had promised to present freedom to the nation if we supported them within the struggle.”
He made his debut as Sharmaji of the Sharmaji-Varmaji composer duo with the movie “Heer Ranjha” in 1948.
One among his earliest success got here with the music “Akele Mein Wo Ghabrate to Honge” from the movie “Biwi (1950);” sung by Mohammed Rafi. He adopted ‘Khayyam’ as his display title with the movie “Foot Path (1953).”
After working in just a few movies, he gained recognition by way of the movie “Phir Subha Hogi (1958),” through which songs had been composed by Sahir Ludhianvi and sung by Mukesh and Asha Bhosle.
After he did “Shola Aur Shabnam (1961),” Khayyam’s popularity established as the nice composer, his most notable works got here within the movies like “Shagoon (1964),” “Kabhi Kabhie (1976),” “Trishul (1978),” “Dard (1981),” “Dil-E-Nadan(1982),” and “Umrao Jaan (1981).”
Aside from music course, he additionally labored as a singer. Khayyam made his debut as a singer with the music “Dono Jaha Teri Mohabbat Me Haar Ke” from the movie “Romeo & Juliet (1947).”
He has additionally sung “Kab Yaad Mein Tera Saath Nahin” from the movie “Anjuman (1986).”
He additionally labored as an actor within the 1948 movie “Yeh Hai Zindagi.”
- ‘Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein’ from the movie “Kabhi Kabhie (1976)”
- ‘Major Pal Do Pal Ka Shayar Hoon’ from the movie “Kabhi Kabhie (1976)”
- ‘In Ankhon Ki Masti Ke’ from the movie “Umrao Jaan (1981)”
- ‘Dil Cheez Kya Hai’ from the movie “Umrao Jaan (1981)”
- ‘Aaja Re O Mere Dilbar’ from the movie “Noorie (1979)”
Awards & Honours
- Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award in 2018
- Padma Bhushan in 2011
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award: Artistic Music in 2007
- Nationwide Movie Award for Finest Music Path for the movie “Umrao Jaan” in 1982
- Finest Music Director for the movie “Kabhi Kabhie” in 1977
- Finest Music Director for the movie “Umrao Jaan” in 1982
- Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010
Be aware: Aside from these, he has gained many awards and honours.
seventh Flooring, Dakshin Residences
- Restaurant(s): Sarvi in Nagpada, Mumbai, Kareem’s at Mohammad Ali Street in Mumbai
- Actress(s): Meena Kumari, Rekha
- Music Director(s): S. D. Burman, R. D. Burman, Laxmikant–Pyarelal, Shankar Jaikishan, Naushad
Khayyam’s internet value was roughly Rs.10 crores (as in 2016).
Khayyam was admitted on 28 July 2019 to Sujay Hospital in Juhu, Mumbai following lung infections. He died on 19 August 2019 at 9:30 PM (IST) attributable to cardiac arrest.
- He used to love watching movies and listening to music.
- Similar to Khayyam, his father was additionally interested by music, literature, and poetry. Khayyam would usually take his father and siblings to observe movies. Sharing the reminiscence of his father, Khayyam says-
When the prepare halted at Khatkar Kalan station, my father made us children stand. He then mentioned, ‘Salute this village, that is the village of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, the place his ancestral house is positioned.’ For the remainder of the journey, my father informed us about Bhagat Singh’s inspiring life and the way he and his buddies selected the gallows to liberate the nation from the British.”
- On the peak of his profession, Khayyam was thought to be the ‘Naushad’ of that point.
- Jagjit Kaur got here from an aristocratic household in Punjab. Speaking about their first assembly with Khayyam, Jagjit informed that Khayyam had adopted her on the overbridge of the Dadar Railway Station. At first, she panicked as she thought that he may need been stalking her, however when Khayyam launched himself as a music composer to her, Jagjit calmed down.
- Khayyam’s father-in-law had disapproved of their marriage. Regardless of that, their marriage was one of many first inter-communal marriages of the movie trade.
- All through his profession, Khayyam selected to work with the poets, who had a robust background in poetry. That’s the rationale his music all the time stands out, having a contact of Ghazals and poems.
- When Khayyam supplied Asha Bhosle to sing for the movie “Umrao Jaan (1981),” it made Asha Bhosle sing unquestionably the very best songs of her profession, which are- “In Aankhon Ki Masti Ke”, “Ye Kya Jagah Hai Doston,” and “Dil Cheez Kya Hai.”
- Aside from Asha Bhosle, he has additionally labored along with her sister, Lata Mangeshkar. The very first time they labored collectively was within the movie “Pyaar Ki Baatein (1951).”
- Jagjit Kaur was the collegemate of the previous Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh. In 2006, Manmohan Singh took trip of his busy schedule to fulfill Khayyam and his spouse.
- When he turned 90, he determined that he would donate all of his earnings to his charitable trust- ‘Khayyam Jagjeet Kaur KPG Charitable Belief’ to assist aspiring artists and technicians within the movie trade. Speaking about it, he said-
I’ve determined that I’ll donate my total wealth to assist artistes and technicians, who’re in want within the movie trade. I’ve given every little thing I needed to my motherland.”
- In an interview, whereas speaking about his prices for the movie, Khayyam told-
I used to be the very best paid music composer for over 14 years. Producers would inform me that I charged six instances the cash as in comparison with different music composers. However since I did restricted work, and gave each challenge my 100%, I’d count on to get the cash I demanded. So, I’ve been actually content material. Humari movie trade ne humari kadra ki iske hum shukraguzar hain (I’m grateful to the movie trade for valuing me).”
- In his profession spanning over many years, Khayyam composed for less than 57 movies. Speaking about it, he says-
I may simply have performed 200-plus movies like most up to date musicians, however I used to be clear that I didn’t need to compromise on high quality.”
- In August 2019, he was admitted to a hospital in Juhu due to a fall from his armchair at house. Following the incident, Jagjit Kaur registered an alarming drop in her blood sugar depend. Each husband and spouse had been allotted adjoining cabins, named ‘Lily’ and ‘Tulip’ within the hospital.